Copyright is one of the forms of intellectual property which does not protect the ideas but protects the form of its expression. It protects the creativity, time, and efforts of the creator of the work, whether it is published or unpublished. It protects the original material of the creators and authors from unauthorized use and provides them a legalized exclusive right to
- Use and reproduce their work
- License, sell, lease or distribute copies of their work to others.
- Display or perform their work publicly
However, the work should fulfil certain parameters to get protection under copyright law. Mentioned below are the things that are essential for getting copyright:
- Originality – It means that the work to be copyrighted should be authentic and original and not a copy of someone’s work.
- Creativity – It means that the work should be ingenious and can be easily seen as creative.
- Tangible form – It means creation should be such which can be expressed in tangible form like something which can be saved on paper by the printing or can be uploaded and saved on a storage device for a period of more than transitory duration.
Benefits of Protecting Your Copyright
Identifying and evaluating the original works owned by you is a crucial part of the business you own. Brands, product designs, computer programs, databases, mobile applications, and designs all of these works are valuable and can potentially work as a value addition to your company by earning additional revenues.
You just have to think about the benefitting ways of using copyright ownership. It will not only give you an opportunity for business expansion but will also work as an incentive for the intellectual efforts you have put in. For that, you might like to know all about franchising, licensing, and potential royalty arrangements.
INTEROCO Copyright Office Dubai knows that securing your IP protection is a very crucial step. With our expertise, we can prove very beneficial and convenient, especially when it comes to enforcement of infringed rights in courts or with local authorities.
Protection of Your Artwork
You will be able to create confidently, after knowing that your work will get protection from infringement
Your Exclusive IP Rights
You will get exclusive and legal rights for your work, and also the power of granting others the rights to use your work
End of Infringement
As the registered copyright owner you gain the power to sue anyone using your work without your permission
Result of Copyright Protection - What You Will Get
- INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT CERTIFICATE by INTEROCO Copyright Office (Berlin, Germany).
- Certificate is recognized in 179 countries according to the International Berne Convention for Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
- Certificate is issued in 2 languages – English and Arabic.
- Valid for the lifetime of the Author + 50 years after the author’s death.
- Delivery of the certificate will be done by courier, or you can collect it from our office.
Types of Rights the Copyright Law Protects
There are two kinds of rights protected by copyright:
1. Economic rights – It permits the copyright owner to earn financial remuneration from others in exchange for using their works. Most of the copyright laws give the rights holder the economic right by which they can prevent or authorize certain use of the work or even use the work for franchising, licensing, or through collective management and earn remuneration for the same.
The economic rights include:
- Right to reproduction in different forms like sound recording or printed publication
- Right to importation control
- Right to rental authorization
- Right to set exceptions or limitations
- Right to equality in remuneration
- Right to any legal commercial use, distribution, and transfer
2. Moral rights – It protects the inherent rights the owner or the originator has over their intellectual works. It protects the non-economic interests of the author.
The moral rights include:
- Paternity right which helps an author to be identified as the creator and originator of his work
- Integrity rights give protection from anything that can cause harm to the author’s reputation
- Distorted reproduction right gives the author a right to stop, oppose and hinder any changes, distortion, and alteration to the work
Copyrights grant the owner the exclusive right to reproduce and distribute copies of the work, prepare derivative works, and perform, display, and broadcast the work publicly.
What Is Eligible For Copyright Protection?
Copyright gives protection to a lot of assets that are a result of the intellectual activities of humans. You can make your brand good, credible, persuasive, and profitable by getting a copyright for your brand name, logo, slogan or domain name, etc. Here is the list of few intangible assets which can be protected by copyright:
Registration of the brand
protect your brand internationally including brand logo, slogan & brand name as a Composite Copyright Work
Business concept or invention
register your business concept or an invention internationally as a Work of Science
like essays, pamphlets, books, etc.
Works related to web development
like computer software, databases or programs, games, mobile applications, and other works related to web development
Musical and drama work
like music compositions whether with words or without words, sounds, dumb shows, and audiovisual works
like engineering layouts and plans
like painting, drawing, sculpting, engraving, and lithography on stones, fabric, wood, or metal
Works of fine arts
like photographic works and photography analogous
Plastic and applied artworks
Three-dimensional geographical works and illustrations
like topography, maps, sketch and architecture designs, etc.
Copyright Protection Law in the UAE
With a comprehensive, large, and developed copyright regulation, federal and local authorities in the UAE acknowledge the importance of prevention of infringements of intellectual property. The legal range of local regulations and international treaties in the UAE includes:
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works
- United Arab Emirates Federal Law No. 7 of the Year 2002 “On Copyright and Neighboring Rights”
- United Arab Emirates Federal Law No. 7 of the Year 2008 “On the National Center for Documentation and Research”
- Federal Legal Decree No. 5 for 2012 “On combating cybercrimes”
- United Arab Emirates Federal Law No. 8 of the Year 1984 “On the commercial companies”
- United Arab Emirates Federal Law No. 3 of the Year 1983 “On the federal judiciary”
- United Arab Emirates Federal Law No. 18 of the Year 1993 “On the conclusion of commercial transactions”
- The Ministerial Order № 133 of the Year 2004 “On copyright collective”
- The Ministerial Order № 411 of the Year 1993 “On the control of protected works” under the UAE Federal Law № 40 ” On the protection of intellectual property and copyright
|Exclusive rights||Federal Law No. (7) of 2002 on Copyrights and Neighboring rights states that there is automatic granting of copyright for specific works and once it is granted, the producer gets exclusive rights of its own as well as subsequent rights of distribution and sale, etc.|
|Protection from infringements||Copyright applies to all mediums, so work protected by copyright is not allowed to be reproduced in any medium. Infringement includes copying a part or whole of the work, issuing copies of work to the public, etc., without the copyright owner’s consent. Infringement authorization is considered an infringement too.|
|Duration||The validity duration of the accepted copyright is 50 years.|
Process of Getting Your Copyright Protected
Submission of required documents
The first step is to request a free consultation from an IP Expert in the INTEROCO Copyright Office Dubai by submitting a call back request form. After the consultation, a contract is signed with the Dubai representative office. Then you have to pay the service fees along with an application and copies of the work you want to get registered for.
Initial search for the copyright object
We conduct and deposit a preliminary search for the object to be copyrighted.
Submission of application and work copies to INTEROCO Copyright Office
We will fill and submit an online form and then will provide the copies of the work which you want to get registered at the INTEROCO Copyright Office.
After receiving a confirmation of preliminary approval of your registration, we will wait for final approval.
Registration and issuance of IP Certificate
Once your copyright for the copyright object is registered, you will receive mail containing your certificate of registration. The duration of the registration period usually ranges from 5 to 20 working days. It also depends on the kind of work which is to be registered.
How We Make the Process Convenient and Hassle-Free for You
We make things effortless for you with our convenient copyright protection process, efficient and professional customer service, and transparency in pricing policies.
We assure you that structures developed by us for your intellectual property protection are of the highest level. In only 3 steps your copyright can be registered in the UAE as well as in 178 countries around the world.
Fill our online questionnaire
Fill our online questionnaire after which our IP - Expert will initiate your registration process.
We unburden you from paperwork
We make things much easier for you by putting together everything which is needed for your application.
Final Registration of your IP with a certificate of registration
You will receive an electronic certificate on your email ID and a hard copy of the mail.